The 1st ACM International Conference on Embedded Systems for Energy-Efficient Buildings (BuildSys 2014) invites submissions of original papers on innovation in embedded building systems delivering efficiency, operation and performance. Over the past five years, BuildSys has established itself as the premier workshop for researchers, developers, and practitioners across interdisciplinary fields to present research results and exchange ideas in all information-driven aspects of building energy. 2014 marks the first year for BuildSys as a full conference. With this exciting development, BuildSys this year will accept both regular papers (10 pages maximum) and notes papers (4 pages maximum), that describe original and unpublished work advancing the state of art in building systems. Both regular and note papers will be reviewed by the same program committee and will be evaluated to the same standard of quality. Papers are expected to consider the entire energy system, including any effects on occupant behaviors, production efficiency, innovative energy management approaches, peak load and smart grid architectures, sustainability, pollutants or water, and/or total energy usage.
Paper types (NEW THIS YEAR)
We solicit three types of original submissions:
- Regular papers for oral presentation (10 pages)
- Notes papers for oral presentation (4 pages)
- Technical posters and demos will be solicited via a separate call
Topics of Interest
Papers are invited in all emerging aspects of information-driven building systems, such as:
- Sensing, actuation and management of electrical loads in residential, commercial and industrial settings
- Novel sensor methodologies, sensor networks and applications that enhance building energy efficiency, energy reliability, durability and occupant comfort
- Systems that integrate buildings with the emerging smart grid to provide demand response and ancillary services and/or manage utility costs
- Modeling, simulation, optimization, and control of heating, cooling, lighting, ventilation, water usage and other energy flows in buildings, campuses and surrounding spaces
- Distributed generation, alternative energy, renewable sources, and energy storage in buildings
- Emerging communication standards for data collection, energy control, or interoperation of disparate devices or systems
- Systems that can influence building occupant behavior towards a more parsimonious usage of electricity, gas, heating, water, etc.
- Indoor location and building-related contextual computing for increased human-building interactions
Submitted papers must be unpublished and must not be currently under review for any other publication. Paper submissions should be no more than the indicated page count and must follow a double column format. All figures, appendices, and references must fit within this limit. Paper reviewing is single-blind and submissions should list author names on the front page.
Regular and short papers must be submitted through the BuildSys submission site: http://188.8.131.52/papers/. Please note the account registration email will come from , and authors should ensure it is not sent to spam. In case of problems with account creation or paper registration, authors should write to and copy and . Requests relating to technical programs and deadlines should be sent to the TPC co-chairs and .
Paper Formatting Instructions
Your submission must be in PDF format with all fonts embedded, and be formatted according to the official ACM Proceedings format. Papers that do not meet the size and formatting requirements will not be reviewed. Word and LaTeX templates are available here. Please note that you must use the “Strict Adherence to SIGS style” template option.
- Abstract registration: July 1, 2014 (PAST DUE)
- Paper submission deadline: July 15, 2014 (extended)
- Paper notification: August 22, 2014
- Camera ready: September 15, 2014
- BuildSys conference: November 5-6, 2014
All deadlines are 11:59:59 p.m. PDT (UTC – 7 hours)