BuildSys 2018 welcomes exciting demonstrations of novel technologies, applications, and hardware for the built environment as well as posters showing promising early work. We seek participation from both industry and academia for demonstrations and posters. Selection of demonstration and posters will be based on a short abstract, evaluated based on technical merit and innovation as well as the potential to stimulate interesting discussions and exchange of ideas at the conference.
The demo and poster session is a great forum to share your early stage work to the broader audience. Accepted abstracts will appear in the regular conference proceedings. At least one author of every accepted demonstration or poster abstract is required to register and attend the conference.
Topics of Interest
We are particularly interested in, but not limited to, contributions related to the following topics:
- Sensing, actuation and management of electrical loads in residential, commercial and industrial settings;
- Novel sensor methodologies, sensor networks and applications that enhance energy efficiency, energy reliability, durability and occupant comfort;
- Systems that integrate infrastructure with the emerging smart grid to provide demand response and ancillary services and/or manage utility costs;
- Modeling, simulation, optimization, and control of heating, cooling, lighting, ventilation, water usage and other energy flows in built environments;
- Distributed generation, alternative energy, renewable sources, and energy storage in buildings;
- Emerging communication standards for data collection, energy control, or interoperation of disparate devices or systems;
- Systems that can influence occupant behavior towards a more parsimonious usage of electricity, gas, heating, water, etc.;
- Localization and contextual computing for increased human-infrastructure interactions;
- Software architectures and middleware to aid in programming smart built environments and smart cities;
- Safety, security and privacy issues and mechanisms to address them in the context of a sensed and actuated built environments;
- Intercoupling and interdependencies of systems-of-systems for smart infrastructure.
Poster abstracts should report on research work where at least some preliminary results are available, but they need not necessarily describe completed work. An easel will be provided for all posters. All poster abstract submissions must strictly adhere to the formatting guidelines specified below.
Demo abstracts should describe both the technology being showcased as well as the user experience of the demo. Tables, power, and wireless connectivity will be provided. If a demo requires additional special arrangements, please describe them clearly in your submission using a separate third page (not part of the technical content of the abstract). All demo abstract submissions must strictly adhere to the formatting guidelines specified below. The authors of the accepted demos will be invited to submit an optional short video together with the camera-ready version of the abstract.
Submission and Formatting Instructions
Abstract submissions should be no more than 2 pages and must follow a double column format. All figures, appendices, and references must fit within this limit. Paper reviewing is single-blind and submissions should list author names on the front page. If a demonstration requires special arrangements, please describe them clearly in your submission using a separate third page. (This third page is not part of the technical content of the abstract and can be formatted at discretion of the authors).
Your submission must be in PDF format with all fonts embedded, and be formatted according to the official ACM Proceedings format. Submissions that do not meet the page limit, size, and formatting requirements will not be reviewed. Word and LaTeX templates are available here. Please note that you must use the “Strict Adherence to SIGS style” template option. Note that ACM uses 9-pt fonts in all conference proceedings, and the style (both LaTeX and Word) implicitly define the font size to be 9-pt. Please refer to publication chair's Note as well as the User Guide of the new class.
Due to the short interval between the notification of acceptance and the camera-ready deadline, we strongly encourage authors to follow the camera-ready formatting guidelines as closely as possible even for the initial abstract submission.
Poster and demo abstracts must be submitted through the Poster/Demo BuildSys 2018 HotCRP site found here.
- Submission Deadline: August 27, 2018, 11:59:59pm AOE
- Notification of acceptance: : September 7, 2018, 11:59:59pm AOE
- Camera-ready abstract: September 21, 2018, 11:59:59pm AOE
- Submission site: https://buildsys18postersdemos.hotcrp.com/
- BuildSys conference: November 7-8, 2018, Shenzhen, China
Shenzhen, China | co-located with ACM SenSys 2018
Note: These are hard deadlines. No extension will be granted.